I recently traveled alone to Europe and here are some tips that I think can be very helpful. Hope you enjoy!
- TELL PEOPLE WHERE YOU’RE GOING. Pick someone from home that always knows where your supposed to be. Especially if you’re going to multiple countries. If possible provide them with an itinerary and copies of your passport.
- UPDATE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA FOR SAFETY. I made sure to let people know where I was via social media, because if I went missing (knock on wood), my Facebook page was a good way of people knowing where I was last. Also, make sure your FB page is private so only friends and family can see.
- HAVE A PLAN. I am one of those people like to venture off and see what the day brings me, but when it comes to safety having a plan is always better. Your days flows smoothly and it beats the odds of getting lost.
- ALWAYS HAVE A MAP. I am the kind of person that likes to walk A LOT. But that is a good way to get lost in a new city. So, you should always have a map handy for the city and their transportation systems. Don’t count on your phone maps depending on your data plan of course.
- KNOW THE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM. How will you be getting around? What is the best method of transportation in the city your visiting? If you’re using an underground subway for example, make sure you understand how it works. And always purchase extra or unlimited rides. It’s always the smartest choice.
- BE AWARE OF LOCAL SCAMS. How do the locals scam tourist? Read about the dangers tourists face in each city you visit. Whether it be pick-pocketing or even homeless scams. Don’t be afraid to ignore people or simply saying ‘no’.
- IF YOU DON’T KNOW THE LANGUAGE, and you’re an English speaker chances are there will be people that speak English. Go for the younger people, they are learning English more nowadays. If you’re lost always go into a café, restaurant or business to ask for directions versus asking people on the street.
- BE AWARE, DO WHAT IS SMART AND USE COMMON SENSE. This is the best way to ensure safety, if it doesn’t feel or look right don’t do it.
- FIND OUT WHAT CURRENCY IS USED AND WHAT DEBIT/CARDS ARE ACCEPTED.
- IF YOU WANT SOMEONE TO TAKE A PHOTO OF YOU, ASK TOURISTS. What I would do was look at the people around me and if I saw couples or friends struggling to take a photo I’d offer to take it for them, they would see me alone and offer to take one for me as well. It worked like a charm each time.
- DON’T TELL PEOPLE YOU’RE ALONE. Come up with a lie, they don’t know you’re lying.
- EAT AT BUSY PLACES. It’s better to be surrounded by people than to eat where there is hardly anybody and it’s shady.
- BLEND IN, DON’T LOOK LOST, BE SMART, BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN.
For more tips check out the Buzzfeed article that helped me prepare for my solo adventure!
And P.S these are tips for men can use too.